Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Distance and Change

Being away from home for 1, 2, 3+ years. Living in a foreign country so far from a familiar culture. How much does it change us? I wonder about this when I think about heading home this summer. Will I be different? Will my friends and family notice any changes in me. I think we are all changing constantly. Hopefully for the better. The more we see, learn and experience, the more we can expand our way of thinking. But do we change faster when living this type of lifestyle than those at home? What affect does this have on our relationships when we return. I think about this sometimes. However, i don't worry too much as a year is not a long time in the whole scheme of things. I'll be interested to hear from my close friends what they think once i've been home for a while. Will my dog look at me differently..especially if he finds out that I lived in culture where eating dog is accepted practice? He'll know...he always does.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Goulash said...

I've often had these kinds of thoughts. After spending 6 years (in total) abroad, I think the only real change in me is that I've become more confident in being me.
Not such a bad thing I think.

Don't worry too much. I think if your friends and family see any changes, they will be positive.

And your dog will know you were against eating other dogs.

:)

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benny will love you no matter what (and your friends will continue as well)
Lis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home